Extensive, Highly Curated Data
BioCyc integrates genome data with a comprehensive body of additional data including metabolic reconstructions, regulatory networks, protein features, orthologs, gene essentiality, and atom mappings.
A Vast Set of Bioinformatics Tools
Browsers for genomes, metabolic networks, and regulatory networks. Transcriptomics and metabolomics data analysis, comparative analysis, and metabolic route search. Sequence search and alignment.
Explore Metabolic Maps for Thousands of Organisms
The Cellular Overview enables you to browse through zoomable metabolic map diagrams that are customized to each BioCyc organism.
RouteSearch: Search for Paths Through the Metabolic Network
Search for lowest-cost paths through the metabolic network of the selected organism.
Metabolic Reconstruction from Sequenced Genomes
Install SRI's Pathway Tools software (free to academics) to predict metabolic pathways for sequenced genomes, generate metabolic models.
Gene Expression Data Analysis
Multiple tools are available in this website for analysis of gene expression data.
Comparative Genome Analysis
Multiple comparative analysis tools are available in this website.
Search Databases by Organism Properties
BioCyc contains data on phenotypic properties of organisms, such as human-microbiome body site, aerobicity, and temperature range.
The BioCyc Database Collection
Tier 1 databases such as EcoCyc are the most highly curated. BioCyc databases are computationally derived from MetaCyc.Request Addition of New Genome to BioCyc
The Omics Dashboard: A New View of Omics Data
Visualize omics data as a set of graphs hierarchically organized by functional category. Drill down for more detail in areas of interest.
19535 Pathway/Genome Databases to Search
BioCyc is a collection of 19535 Pathway/Genome Databases (PGDBs) for model eukaryotes and for thousands of microbes, plus software tools for exploring them. BioCyc is an encyclopedic reference that contains curated data from 130,000 publications.
The EcoCyc and MetaCyc databases are freely available, but access to the remaining BioCyc databases requires a paid subscription.
The following websites are part of BioCyc. Opening these sites in your browser is a convenient way to pre-select that database for searches.
Webinar #1: Introduction to BioCyc
- BioCyc Overview Part 1 (7:44) [mp4 video] or [YouTube]
- BioCyc Overview Part 2 (4:44) 30 page side loading flip folder or [YouTube]
- Searching in BioCyc (17:00) [mp4 video] or [YouTube]
- Genome Browsing, Searching, and Alignment (15:38) [mp4 video] or [YouTube]
- Pathways (13:19) [mp4 video] or [YouTube]
- Reactions (3:37) [mp4 video] or [YouTube]
- Compounds (6:42) [mp4 video] or [YouTube]
Webinar #2: Introduction to SmartTables
- Part 1: SmartTables Overview (4:30) [mp4 video] or [YouTube]
- Part 2: SmartTables Basics (12:43) [QuickTime Video]
- Part 3: SmartTables Transformations (8:08) [QuickTime Video]
- Part 4: SmartTables Import and Export (9:00) [QuickTime Video]
- Part 5: SmartTables Gene Expression Analysis (7:40) [QuickTime Video]
- Part 6: Metabolomics Analysis with SmartTables (6:45) [QuickTime Video]
Webinar #3: Zoomable Metabolic Map, Comparative Tools, Regulatory Network
- Part 1: The Cellular Overview: Navigating metabolic networks (17:15) [mp4 video] or [QuickTime Video] or [YouTube]
- Part 2: Comparative Genomics (21:06) [Windows Media Video] or [QuickTime Video]
- Part 3: Ortholog Viewing (10:02) [Windows Media Video] or Air Nail Gun 18GA 1.25 1.0mm Powerful F50 Powered Nailers for In
- Part 4: The Regulatory Overview -- exploring transcriptional regulatory networks (15:21) T Tulead Precision Square Woodworking Ruler L-Shape Carpenter Sq or [YouTube]
Webinar #4: Omics Data Analysis
- Transcriptomics Analysis Tools [brief tour (2:40) mp4 video or YouTube] [detailed tutorial (21:36) mp4 video or YouTube]
- Metabolomics Analysis Tools [brief tour (3:26) mp4 video or YouTube] [detailed tutorial (24:09) ALAZA Happy Santa Claus Riding On Bicycle Decorative Kitchen Dis or YouTube]
- Omics Dashboard Part 1 (16:35) [mp4 video], or [YouTube]
- Omics Dashboard Part 2 (24:29) [mp4 video], or [YouTube]
Webinar #5: Pathway Collages
Webinar #6: Creating a Pathway/Genome Database
- Part 1: Building the Database Via Automated Inference Tools (56:42) [Windows Media Video] or [QuickTime Video] or [YouTube]
- Part 2A: General Editing Strategies (8:00) [Windows Media Video] or [QuickTime Video] or [YouTube]
- Part 2B: Creating and Editing Reactions and Compounds (17:32) [Windows Media Video] or [QuickTime Video] or [YouTube]
- Part 2C: Updating Proteins, Citations, GO Terms, and Enzymatic Reactions (26:10) [Windows Media Video] or [QuickTime Video] or [YouTube]
- Part 2D: Making and Editing Pathways (9:42) [Windows Media Video] or [QuickTime Video] or [YouTube]